Thursday, January 10, 2008

Hillary vs Obama. Optimism and Hope.

I am thinking about the NH primary and the results. I am happy. The shift for me was to see Hillary truly connecting on all levels, physically being present, mentally and emotionally showing her depth. To do this shows the strength and courage within her. It was her moment in truth. I have listened avidly to the candidates and have concluded that Hillary will get my vote because she is optimistic and hopeful. Obama is hopeful; both are full of passion.

Let me explain my thinking here. Optimism is backed up with data and in this case it is labeled experience; and given where this country is at the moment and what the incoming president is inheriting, there is going to have to be a lot of experience backing up the optimism to make a difference. Obama is certainly electrifying and inspiring in his message of hope and he and Hillary are both galvanizing the voting population like few before them. I have no doubts that Obama could make a fine president but (yes, there is a But) my reservation is that he will have a slow start because of inexperience and I feel this country cannot afford to wait.

The passion for this fine country has to run deep and be the internal compass for change. Passion with experience gets my vote. I am so over the talking heads pontificating and projecting. It has become like white noise to me, and perhaps to others as well.

4 comments:

Maat said...

I can appreciate your post and there was a time when I felt the same way about Hillary. In fact, I would have voted for her some years ago. But while listening to her platform these days has me almost swayed to voting for her, it's hard for me to forget her flip-flopping on Iraq. As a life-long pacifist I was delighted when, first, she was opposed. When she succumed to the consensus of pre-emption it was a major disappointment. Despite being aware of how the "political machine" operates...or perhaps because I am aware...this smacked of professional agenda.

Myself, while I'm not Ron Paul 100%, I find I'm more aligned with his Libertarian viewpoints...may the best candidate win! :)

Raewyn said...

thank you your thoughtful comments...they are always appreciated. and as you say...may the best candidate win!

In polictics it seems there is a complex set of steps to learn to dance...and dance well...and be effective. it all depends on what music is being heard.

Maat said...

"In polictics it seems there is a complex set of steps to learn to dance...and dance well...and be effective."

I concede that this certainly seems to be the case and what, oftentimes has been debated with me...lol. To be...or vote...one way to get another...is the accepted M.O. (but does nothing for this idealist!) I know, sadly, Ron Paul will not win candidacy or the election but he has put another way of thinking out there...more than most have in the last few decades. Less big govt., not more freedom(s) but enjoying our divine right of the basic freedoms of human existance may well be something more and more will consider in and for the future. At any rate, whomever may become the next President, I hope they stand by their current platforms, keep their promises and give us the opportunity to respect and admire their integrity.

Raewyn said...

I agree with your comments about Ron Paul.I feel he is a consilient soul and his role is to prod people to think and wake up. He is appealing to a lot of young people and this provides a type of balm to all the "balminess" going on at the moment.